Training for my Second Marathon ... I must be nuts.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Things Remembered

So it has begun again. I have begun running outside as the weather has improved somewhat. Last year at this time I could only run inside as I did not have the proper attire for running outside in Wisconsin in early March. My first run in the great outdoors has caused me to remember things I have forgotten. There are 3 such things I have remembered. First, running outside and running inside on a treadmill are two separate things. Second, running outside in early March in Wisconsin and running inside on a treadmill are two separate things. Third, running outside in early March in Wisconsin with a stomach full of fast food and running inside on a treadmill are two separate things. So my first run outside was not a smooth as I would have hoped.

I was able to run 3 miles (3.13 actually), but it took me 29 minutes to do it. A 9:17 minute mile. Faster than last year at this time, but not what I was hoping. My lungs burned and my muscles ached as if I hadn't run at all last year. The one things that I can say is better is my mental toughness. Running 26 miles is hard to forget, so knowing that I only will be running 3 is a breeze ... mentally speaking of course. That was Monday. After an extended gap between my first and second run, thanks to a freak snow storm on Wednesday, I got back out there on Friday. It was another 3 miles (again, 3.13) and I was able to run it this time in 28 minutes, which puts me at a 8:56 minute per mile pace. At this point anything under 9 minute miles is a good thing. For this run my breathing was better and my aching muscles were not much of an issue. I hope that it will not take me too long to get back into the shape I was in last fall.

Next week I look forward to increasing my miles to 4 and to run 3 times instead of the 2 that I ran this week. Let's hope that in the future I'll remember the lessons I learned last year BEFORE I'm forced to re-learn them. Gotta Run.

1 comment: