Training for my Second Marathon ... I must be nuts.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

One Week of Training Left

Now that I am cleared to run, I felt that with my limited miles that I can run, I should still bike on my off days to keep my body used to some type of exercise everyday as that might help me during the marathon. So after my first run this past week, I planned to take a 3 hour bike ride as I can't run a 20 miler before the marathon. Since it would take me 3 or more hours to run that, I figured biking for 3 hours would be beneficial. My route was very hilly and much more than I bargained for. At my half way mark I turned to head back home, but my legs were not as fresh as they were the first hour and a half. I found it difficult to bike the flat sections much less the uphill parts. I did more walking up those hills than I would like to admit, so I hope it will translate for me as far as running the marathon is concerned.

In the end it took me well over 3 hours to complete my workout. My legs were dead. Even now (Sunday) I still feel the soreness of Wednesday's bike ride. I've decided to interpret that as a good thing. Needless to say my in Thursday run, my legs were not as fresh as they were on Tuesday, but I still ran the 5 miles with a 9:40 minute mile. Anything under 10 minutes for me right now is good (at least I think so). I had a 9:35 minute mile on Tuesday so I'm feeling pretty good about how I'm faring.

Then Saturday was a 21 miler, though I could only run 5 of those miles, it was great to be out there again running with a buddy and feeling pretty good. I was tired at the end of my 5 miles (it was actually 5 and a half miles, but who's counting?), but I think that I'm beginning to think that I'll really will be able to finish this marathon. I might not do it in under 4 hours, but at least I feel like I'll be able to finish. It is very encouraging.

Now I have this week of 2 - 6 mile runs and 1 - 10 mile run. Then I will run 6 miles the following Monday, 4 miles on Tuesday and 3 miles on Wednesday, giving me Thursday and Friday off to rest for my very first marathon. It is going to be great! Gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment