Training for my Second Marathon ... I must be nuts.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cleared to Run

After weeks of rest and cross training efforts, I called my doctor to set up a follow-up appointment to see how the foot was healing and when I could start running again as the marathon creeps up at the end of the month. The appointment was set up for last Tuesday and I wasn't sure what to expect. Would I need more X-rays or bone scans? Would I be ready to run? Would I need more rest? I wasn't sure what to expect. All I know is my foot has been feeling fine and we even bought new shoes with more cushion so my foot will be better protected when I do start to run.

So I go and sit waiting for the doctor to show up. I don't know why there is never anything good to read in the check-up rooms. Probably so the doctors can torture us patients by not letting us take our minds off of what ails us. Eventually he came in and looked at my foot. Asked me a few questions about any pain and how it feels. After only a few minutes he said that I can start running again. It was like a weight being removed off of my shoulders and I could breathe again. He said I should run 3 times this week of only 5 miles each outing. Then he said I should run 2 times next week for 6 miles each and then a 10 miler on Saturday. I was really happy about being able to run again, but still concerned that the pain would return before the marathon.

The only way to know for sure was to get out there and run. So I laced up my new shoes and got out there for a 5 mile run. I didn't know how my biking and aqua jogging would help me with my endurance while running, well now I know. I started pretty slow, or what I thought was pretty slow. At about a mile I started feeling the burning in my lungs. My legs were not tired, but I haven't had a similar workout as running for a long time. After about 4 miles I started feeling discouraged that I might not have it in me to run the marathon after so many weeks off. Then I remember how I felt watching other people run while I couldn't and all I wanted to do was be out there running again. Well, I am running again and it felt great. So what if my lungs felt like they were going to explode. At least my foot didn't hurt. My legs felt good enough and I have 8 more runs before the marathon. I'm sure my body will remember what running is and adapt accordingly. I'm just glad I'm running again and that my foot is pain free. Now, I really gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment