Training for my Second Marathon ... I must be nuts.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stay Focused

It has been an interesting few weeks. I intended this blog to keep track of my progress from the start of my training to the half marathon, but over the past few weeks it has been more and more difficult not only to keep on track with my schedule (which I haven't done), but also to keep up with this blog. I have been running during the week, but have not got back to running 12 miles on Saturday. I missed this last week because of the 4th and having friends in town, then the week before it was way too hot to go further than 5 miles. The week before that ... seems like something similar happened, but I don't remember now because I didn't make an entry in this blog. Something happened today as I went out to run that caused me to realize that I need to stay focused on my goal of training to run a half marathon. I was running on a sidewalk next to a main road in my town and I kept checking behind me when I would cross and intersection to make sure the cards behind me weren't turning. Well, during one intersection I turned my head to check the traffic and I lingered a little too long. As I started to turn my head back to the front, my foot caught the edge of some uneven pavement and I began to fall face first onto the asphalt. I did some spectacular acrobatics to stay on my feet and I'm pretty sure I looked ridiculous, but I was able to keep from skinning my legs, arms and face by staying upright. Since there was loads of traffic I wiped my head as if to say, that was a close one. Apparently a car agreed and honked their horn. Out of pride I didn't turn around to acknowledge the horn honking, but just kept running.

So as fun as that event was I thought about this as I continued in my run. You have to stay focused out while you are running or you could fall flat on your face or be run over by a car. Also, this applies to my goals of running as well. I have been letting other things distract me from my goal of running a half marathon so I haven't been as dedicated to my running. With renewed vigor I'll be sticking to my schedule and preparing my body for running in a half marathon in August.

If I may also say this translates into life. Whatever your goal is, you need to keep your focus and not let anything keep you from achieving your goals.

1 comment:

  1. Honey you are such a great writer. I love that you are setting goals and I KNOW you will accomplish whatever goal you set. I'm so proud of you. I love you,

    Your biggest fan:)

    ReplyDelete