Training for my Second Marathon ... I must be nuts.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Arr Matey!

I thought a humorous story after all the bad news might be in order to help lighten the mood. Well, I've been hobbling around now for the past few weeks. At first I did it because my foot was killing me, now I do it to keep off of it so it can heal faster. Well, last Wednesday we had an outdoor church activity out in the woods with a bonfire and marshmallows, the works. The girls loved it except for our youngest who had to be held as there was a dog on the loose and she's not too keen on animals. So I ended up holding her the whole time. The other thing about this activity was that it was at dusk which means mosquitoes. About a half an hour into the festivities many of us had already been eaten alive by those little buggers, even though we had put bug spray on. Every now and then I would feel them on my forehead and I'l either brush them off, smack them dead or have someone else do it for me (though the 2 times someone else smacked me in the head, I don't remember seeing any evidence of the mosquitoes after the fact). Anyway, I was holding my youngest and I felt one of those blood suckers on my head and I smacked it. Well, my 2 year old saw me wack myself in the head and thought she'd help so she smacked me too. Only her fingers landed in my right eye. I knew she had scratched my cornea, but I was hoping the pain would go away. It didn't.

So now I'm hobbling along with one eye shut. My wife drove home and I went immediately to the urgent care. I was a parrot short of the best pirate impression that urgent care had ever seen. Turns out she had got me twice. I still blame the mosquitoes. The fun part was the lady who checked me in to the urgent care was the same lady who registered me at the hospital for my foot scan. Yep, I'm falling apart, one body part at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment